Saturday, April 7, 2012

A very important day

This may be a little personal, but I wanted to document somewhere I knew I could always find this most important event. I've tried several times to keep a journal, but it only lasts a couple of days and then I stop, forget about it and most times happen upon some of the random pages when I'm looking for a fresh notebook for school or something. This is too important for that and I guess in a way, it's a testimony...which are meant to be shared.

Today started out pretty normal. I woke up early to take my car to get an oil change, came home and went back to sleep until the dealership called to say it was ready, got ready for the day, ate some Trix(which I realized are just balls now instead of the fruit shapes...lame!), cleaned up the apartment a little, went to pick up my car, then off to go tanning. While in the tanning bed I had the most overwhelming feeling that I needed to go to the baptism today for two new members. One is Thomas who will be 12 in 11 days and the other is his uncle Josh who is 26 and really reminded me of my estranged big brother. So much so, that I just wanted to grab him in a hug and not let go...I didn't of course. Anyway, I went off on a tangent. Back to the tanning bed. I'm laying in the tanning bed about halfway through the session and I get this overwhelming feeling that I HAVE to go to the baptism today. It was so strong I wanted to jump out of the bed right then, but the baptism wasn't for hours still. It struck me as odd because I always consider going to the baptisms in my ward because I love them, but Saturdays always seem to be packed full of errands and studying. After tanning, I went home and tried to start studying and almost talked myself out of attending the baptism because I have a big important test on Tuesday to prepare for, but I ended up getting dressed and even arrived early, which is HUGE for me! I walked in, sat down, and everything was just normal. I honestly forgot about the earlier feeling of urgency until Necia(the relief society president) walked in and sat in front of me. She turned around and was talking to me and mentioned that she was surprised they made it, because just a half hour earlier she was at home with someone working on her home when she felt like she needed to get to the baptism. She wasn't dressed and didn't know if she should just leave the person at her house to come, but she felt like she really needed to attend. That was when I remembered my feeling from earlier. It was amazing and I almost cried because I realize, for the first time in my life, without the slightest doubt, I felt the spirit speak to me. I know I must have felt it before. I've guessed that the spirit was what guided me in certain situations, but this was the first time I KNEW it was the spirit. There was a huge turn out at the baptism and the spirit was so strong. Nothing crazy happened. I don't know if anyone would even count me among the people who attended if asked, but the spirit wanted me there for whatever reason. I am just so thankful that I felt it and followed the prompting and that Necia happened to mention her experience. I think Necia telling me about her feeling the same thing is precisely what helped me realize what I had felt earlier in the day. I don't know how to put it into more eloquent words, but it's really a wonderful feeling to know that God really does know each one of us and that He chose little ol' me to speak to. I always believed that He knows each one of us and that we're all important to Him, but today, for the first time in my life, I KNOW it.

My hope is that I can look back on this often and always remember what I have felt. Maybe just being there to talk to Necia was the reason I received the prompting. Maybe I was just a filler in the crowd so that the newest members of my ward family knew that they were supported and loved. Maybe this was my opportunity to better understand the true significance and meaning of Easter, which will be celebrated tomorrow. How perfect is that?! Whatever the reason, I am so thankful.

Happy Easter everyone!

1 comment: